Monday, December 10, 2007

Jet Lag-What time is it?/ Que hora es?


Finally got home from P.Rico last Sunday afternoon, after being stuck overnight in San Francisco.

Here's how it happened: Got to San Juan airport, Jonathan drove as Millie gave directions, I laughed so hard I almost, well you know. I was so nervous trying to find agriculture-scanning, I totally blanked on my Spanish. Yikes! Calm down, they'll think I'm a spy. The luggage-tagger made light of it saying, jokingly, "this bag's loaded with green bananas and pasteles". Laughing all together, I relaxed.

Next, the kiosk-ticket dispenser(hate those things),clueless, I let her talk me through it. Looking at the monitor, second flight read: "delayed" (oh no!).We gave each other a group hug, then it all comes back to me; (the reason for the trip) eyes brimming with tears, final goodbyes & "bless you" shared, Jonathan said a prayer.

Passing through security, I forgot: no liquid bottles, handed it over, "perdona"(pardon),I said. With watch and wallet in hand, I'm scanned -Beep!- back to basket drop. The humiliation and wearing no sneakers, I felt vulnerable. Anyway,I got settled in the plane(stupid movie); time killer,I dozed off.

Next, Washington-Dulles airport, seemed delays at every booth. Walked a lot and asked a busy receptionist questions(attitudes); "thank you",(kill them with kindness) better said- "fight evil with good".
I felt like telling her:"my nephew used to do this and he enjoyed it"(not),but a little honey goes a long way,"right, Papito?".

San Francisco It'nl Airport was like the Twilight Zone- empty, except for the cleaning crew, I found a phone and called home.
Met a lady from Burbank, we walked and talked through an art gallery. Thank God or I'd be alone.
Found a newspaper and two small blue pillows-coincidence?, I don't think so. God watches out and provides for our needs, even before we ask.
We sat together, she read,I snuggled the pillow, snoozed off with my two pocketbooks wrapped around me like an octopus. She laughed,"Your a native New Yorker alright". At 5am, we smelled coffee. I got OJ for my blood sugar, we exchanged e-mails & "good-bye".

Hoping to be home soon. Onward to Arcata, Ca., small 20 seater plane. With God-sent pillow still in hand,( comforted by remembering, how everyone said: 'We'll pray for you' )and finally boarded I dozed-off. The announcement awoke me, 'decending in 10 minutes',good.
Then it happened: unexpected-nightmare, the worst roller-coaster ride of the universe!!! Due to severe wind, the tiny-turbo plane starts jerking violently up and down. I held on for dear life, praying: 'Lord, you got me this far, get me home safely, please. I slid the window-shade up and we were landing.
The announcer said, "Remember to thank the pilot", what? Okay, calm down, be thankful,I could barely smile with the blast of cold air, from balmy 80 degrees to 50 & windy.

Arrived home on the Lord's Day, in time for worship, thank God.
Luggage opened, everyone received small gifts, (two surprises saved for Christmas). Exhausted...yet,"THANKFUL TO BE HOME" with my wonderful family.

Lord willing, it'll be a while before I'll fly again...Nana Ana.

1 comment:

smartell said...

Just got your Christmas card, we are happy to read your blog and happy you arrived safe. We loved your small comments between sentences, lol.

Happy holidays and new year to come.
Steve and Suzette