Monday, April 21, 2008

Libros Liberate us



Last week was 'National Library Week' through out America.

Our son, Joe, is a 'Friend of the Library' and you'd think I'd get with the program, but we've been either sick or busy with home-school.
I really enjoy going to our local public library. It's a quaint building past a garden-walk through town.
Our librarian is a kind, sweet soul, she loves to have the library full of children. Our grandson, Joey, is shy about asking for books, so I stand beside him and slowly pull back. She giggled and said, 'That's okay, I'm shy, too.'
There are always fresh flowers, in season, on the table where theme books are displayed.
While browsing, I take my time (hunting for treasures) as our librarian patiently waits. We take out a variety of books, depending also on the next Sunday's lesson. Our librarian is very thoughtful and shares funny nature experiences. For example: 'Consider the ant' was a lesson, and I was researching graphic-art for a small booklet. She shared that once as a child, she stared at an ant-hill, she twisted her head, we both laughed so hard, thank God the place was nearly empty.
Another good thing about our library are the free magazines, every time we go, I grab a handful, they are great for scrap-booking. I love clipping the colorful graphics.
Sometimes I may borrow audio tapes, enjoyable while doing chores around the house. A favorite was 'The Prize Winner from Ohio', about a mom writing & submitting jingles to contests in the 1950's. It was very poignant, funny and sad, all-at-once,and it's now a movie.

Occasionally, I come across my son at a friends-meeting, or my daughter-in-love with the grand-boys homeschooling at the library. I respect their privacy, as much as our wonderful librarian respects mine, while I'm hunting for treasures.

Remember: Enjoy searching & finding treasures at your public library...

From Our 'Reading' Front Porch to Yours...Ana & Andy.

Credits: Ferndale Librarian & her treasured books/ Poster (nationallibraryday.com)

No comments: