Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Tree grows in Brooklyn....

One upon a time a book was placed in my hands, by a lovely librarian who had mentor plans.
She said,'You'll enjoy this you see, for the young girl reminds me of you, dearie :)
Alrighty then, I thought, I'll give it a try what can it hurt to indulge and to spy,
The shelve of new books as she passed me by.
But what's this a passage caught my eye.
I try to look lofty and wise in my pride.
As I set the book down, taking her gift in stride.
She smiled and said, 'Girl, don't be shy,
Read me that quote that I saw you spy.
I smiled and read it completely you see,
As She tried to give the gift of choices to me.
"Afterwards, poor foreigners seeped in and the quiet old brownstone houses were backed up into flats, feather beds were pushed out on the window sill, and the Tree of Heaven flourished." "That was the kind of tree it was. It liked poor people."
Wow! What great Revelation, she was sharing with me.
The gift of one reader to another,
it was as if she was my 'Librarian Mother'.
For you see most people paid no attention to me.
I held my head high as she smiled and said tenderly,
There's more where that came from you just listen & follow me.
So pay attention to your Librarian for she has the knowledge,
and you'll become a scholar without going to college.

No comments: