Tuesday, March 14, 2023

The LatinAsian: A Chinese and Puerto Rican Woman

I can so identify with her. As a small child everyone called me 'La China' because of my 'Asian eyes and Porcelain skin'. It was a 'Baby name' of which I dropped as a Teen. My Oldest Sister also looked like an Asian Beauty. Once a neighbor, who was a 'Merchant Marine' bought her a dress from Japan and it fit like a glove. She wore it to school, I remember it was Pink with Black edging, well she was the toast of the Bronx! You thought I was gonna say 'Town' haha, got ya! Anywho, so we go to 'Chinatown' and I as a little girl got lost. I cried my eyes out. The Chinese lady rescued me and told me to 'Stay here' your mama will come back to the last place she left you...yes, she spoke just like that and me between tears and making bubbles with my nose...pause listened and obeyed. I looked at her and thought, 'She looks like Tata (my sister) and me?!' Confused, I asked her 'Are you my mama?!' She smiled like 'Not Today', but oh, how I wish she would have been because when my Mami found me! Yikes, She yelled in Spanish and the kind lady didn't understand, only that she saved me from being totally lost. My Mami was so embarrassed and yanked my arm, ugh. I wanted to stay with the 'Kind lady' perhaps, maybe, because, only, that she looked like me and my Tata (older sweet sister). I never heard the end of it...even as a Teen my Mami told everyone, she should have left me in Chinatown, I would fit right in being I was a 'Cheenah'...Neither from here nor from there was my dilemma. From your 'Blanca~White China Doll' Nana Ana 3/12/23 AD


No comments: