Thursday, October 23, 2008

THERE ARE PLACES I REMEMBER...



There was a place I used to go when I was very young; when there was a no world quite as real, as the world of books and make-believe.

Across a meadow, beneath a tree that lined a sparkling stream there was a magic land. Where I was King and others came by invitation only.
Tom Sawyer used to drop around and Huck and Becky Thatcher. And I remember once Tarzan came and swam up and down the river.

Rupert Brooks and Robert Burns would come and sit and write poems about war and flowers.

But mostly, I was there alone; watching the world around me. And wondering things like why the sky is blue and how much a grain of sand would weigh if I were an ant

I wish that I could find that land again; but I've lost it. Somewhere in the noise and the hurry of my life.

I wonder if Tom and Becky go there still, or if they grew old like I did.

Credit: Jim Metcalf (known as unofficial Poet laureate of the city of New Orleans).

DEDICATED TO: My grandson Joseph Andrew & David William, boys when I was very young, I would read story of mermaids and imagined I was hearing them singing it was scary yet fascinating. I loved imagining what beautiful colors everything looked like, and how it would feel to the touch; and especially the awesome sound effects...If you remember my stories, they will come alive to you, too...Enjoy your lives adventures with awe & care...and remember always to share because you care...Love, nana Ana

No comments: