Friday, July 4, 2008

People, let me tell you about my best friend...


Our grandson Joey is a wonderful boy, we love him very much. I call him cheerful Chappel, because he enters a room with a big smile and a ray of sunshine.
He was born in Arkansas during his mom's last semester at Harding(Christian) University. She graduated with high honors: "Magna Cum laude", I attended Joe's graduation, also, and got to see Joey's 1st home. Joey got the best of both parents: smart & responsible.

During his birth, I waited at the nursery window and heard a voice: 'Is he born yet?', I turned and saw a prominent looking white-haired gentleman with a crest on his jacket, smiling. I was so tired, when I looked again he was gone. To this day, I believe he was an angel. And when I left Rebekah's bedside the room was full of people, Starla said they prayed for angels. I got to hold Joey warm from the womb, and he looked a lot like his Papa, David Widner.

Joey 'Joseph Andrew' is named after his dad, Joseph, and his Papi, Andrew. When he had his first bath, he protested so loudly, his wails were heard through out the whole floor. Together with Dada & Momma, we went to Walmart and I got baby Joey a hooded outfit, when we put it on, it was 'snug', he was so big (8 lbs.) He slept and was a good baby. His Grandma Starla (aka Bucky) arrived in Arkansas just in time to help Momma with baby Joey. She made him soft felt clothes. We have early videos of his 1st home and Holidays with his cousins, some day, we'll show them to Joey (again). My folks in Puerto Rico had seen Joey in a large Sears photo Joe & Becky sent to them. Wella said,'Aye, que lindo'(oh, how cute). Wello said,'Se aparece a mi tio 'Juan el colorado' (He looks like my uncle John, the redhead) and he gave Joey the name 'Peachy'(for his auburn hair)...

When we moved to California, Joey was 2 yrs. old and his hair was golden in the sun. He was very cute and curious. We'd do everything together. We'd go for walk-talks & took pictures of everything we came across. We've done some scrap-booking. He enjoys going to the library with me. I remember a book about crickets, I kept looking around due to the sound, it came from the book! He laughed so hard, the table shook. Our adventures have been God sent and we've enjoyed every single one of them with fond memories.

He is so a Chappel, why do you ask?, because, like his great Uncle Donald, he's got the Chappel humor. Andy said, 'He looks so much like Joe at that age (9-11 yrs.old). Joey is tall, handsome and has hazel-eyes. Whenever he wears a different shirt (green/blue) his eyes change colors. His hair is like his Aunt Angie's, light auburn. And he's a vegetarian, he chews his food slowly to get the best taste. I could tell you his shoe size, but his feet grow fast. His garden boots fit me, a size 4 in boys' (I'm a size 7). Once he had a pair of cute green (frog eye) boots, they were his favorites, he wore them all the time to play in the garden. When it would rain, he'd drop a quarter in the puddle and be surprised when he found it in the spring. He claimed the orchard as his own, and we've been (to our delight) picking apples every autumn. That's why I call him "Chappel-apple". I love the fall because of Joey's birthday and his apples.

Joey will be 10 yrs. old in September, I wonder what costume-theme he'll choose for his party? It's the Fourth of July and Joey is at church camp with his family. I can't wait to see him. He will call me on the phone and say,'Know what?', and tell me of the wonderful times he's having with the Seniors and his family.

Joseph asked to be baptized when he was 7 yrs.old, knowing & realizing his future would be secure, putting Christ on in baptism...Gal 3:27. We love you, Joey, & we look forward to spending many wonderful seasons with you, as you grow like Jesus (Luke 2:52) in your life 'In Christ'.

Remember: "Joey, enjoy being a kid"...Papi.

From: Our 'Grand' Front Porch...Ana & Andy.

Credit: God, who knit and wonderfully created us...

No comments: