Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The 'Guess Who?' Hat


Happy Summer Birthday, Davey. Our grandson Davey's birthday is in June and the family always has a summer-fest. We all celebrate at either Fireman's Park or the beach.

On his 3rd birthday, we celebrated at the beach. There was a sand storm, it was really windy and sand blew in our faces and even on the sandwiches, Yikes!. It was lots of fun though, all his friends were there: tall, raven-haired beauty, Rayah; cheerful brother Chappel and his home-school friends; Rebekah with her brother and sister. Rayah's mom, Heidi, dug a large space in the sand for the kids to cool off. I had read about sink holes, but she made it wide and not too deep. (Still not recommended.) I'm so cautious when it comes to kids (having babysat since I was twelve).

This year, the family celebrated Davey's 8th birthday at Fireman's Park. I came up with the idea of a costume theme for their birthdays. We've been Indians; Pirates; etc., and this year's theme was Bible characters: Davey-King David; Joey-Joseph, with a carpenters apron; Dad-Abraham; Momma-Queen Esther; Nana-Abigail; Aunt Angie-(as her self),'Princess daughter of the King' and neighbor Joann-Rahab, she said (and I quote): "Rahab was very brave", so true. Davey had soft-shiny gold wrapping paper on his shoulders, very royal-looking. Everyone guessed Momma's as 'Esther', she looked beautiful. Joey's eyes turned blue with the sapphire headdress. My son said: "Mom, you bring food from afar". The costumes were very realistic, especially Aunt Angie's as she let her light shine.


This picture shows Davey wearing his favorite black felt hat. He can reshape it into many styles. Each style is a different character. I think, therefore, I believe this one is the 'Cowboy-from-Toy Story'. He can also become 'George Washington'; 'Indiana Jones'; a '3 Musketeer', all in a flip of the flaps. He's one funny character alright. When we visit, he jumps out and asks: 'Can you guess who I am?', and I have to think real quick: 'latest movie'. Usually I'm right, but it depends if they've borrowed a video from the library, then I'm pleasantly surprised.

I remember the Christmas Davey was four years old, we had 'Open House' in Ferndale. That winter he wore his Doctor Seuss hat everywhere. I placed him on my shoulder with his 'Doctor Seuss' hat on, and everyone smiled and said: 'oh, how cute he looks', as he sang Christmas carols above my head. I suspect that started the: 'I'm so cute' phase.

We really enjoy Davey's antics & funny phrases, sometimes, though, he comes up with some deep thoughts, and we look at each other. For example: During a 'Cinco de Mayo' festivity, not having heard Spanish music (played during the holidays) he asked: Is tomorrow Christmas? Imagine that....

Remember: Enjoy your Boys...

From: Our 'Celebrating' Front Porch...Ana & Andy.

Credit: God who crowns us with grandchildren...

No comments: