Sunday, July 13, 2008

Todo eso por medio peso


There is a Spanish ditty about starting life in America with just a 50 cent investment. It's called 'Todo eso por medio peso' meaning 'All that for half a dollar'.

The Spanish ditty goes like this:
With half a dollar I bought a goat, and with that goat I got some cheese;
And with the cheese I got my strength, and with my strength I got a job.
I got a goat that gave me some cheese; that gave me strength; that got me that job;
and all of that with half a dollar.
With that job I bought me a car and with that car I got collateral to buy my house;
I got a goat that gave me some cheese; giving me strength to get a job;
paying me money to buy a car used for collateral to buy a house;
and all of that for half a dollar...Gracias a Dios/Thanks to God.

That's just how I felt at Saturday's Yearly Rummage Sale. Everything was half off, oh yeah, my kind of sale. A full bag of clothes: $2.00! Our friend, Rayah, was with her mom, Heidi; we had a great time picking out 'like-new clothes'. We kept finding neat pieces and giving them to each other. I first picked a royal blue jacket-like shirt with a lime design on the front shoulders, real classy. I kept looking and found the pants to that outfit! Heidi is so sweet, she found a really nice white 'Land's End' top and she gave it to me. I had an extra bag with 'stuff': a small pentax-camera with the battery; nice pair of brown short leather boots; soft black open-toe sandals; 3 books; and odds and ends, the footwear looks brand new. All in all, the $2.00 bag had 12 pieces of clothing, the grand total was $3.00...Todo eso por medio peso/All of that for half a dollar...Gracias a Dios/Thanks to God.

To be honest with you, my mother would shop only 'brand names' and at the 'better stores' (she was very frugal), yet no one ever left our house without a gift bag.
Raised to use my money wisely, I always carry an extra shopping bag in my pocketbook for great and affordable buys. And, just like my mom, I love to give gift bags with treats to everyone.

Remember: Save & Invest your half dollars/'medio pesos' for your future needs...

Enjoy: Shopping for fashions & finding fun, good 'stuff'...

From: Our 'Thankful' Front Porch...Ana & Andy.


Credit: God, Provider of all our needs...

No comments: