Friday, May 2, 2008

Hi, Lady (ode to nice neighbors)


Yesterday, as I sat out on our sunny porch enjoying the breeze,I had two surprise guests. Yes, people do enjoy visiting 'Our Front Porch' on occasion. Like Joe & the boys, the UPS man, even my next-door neighbors have spoken to me from the foot of the steps about our apple-orchard.
Reminds me of many young ladies who shared their dreams, once upon a time, on our shared front porch.
I miss those days, when neighbors, although they moved a couple of streets away, would still return to catch-up on the latest happenings. One such wonderful neighbor was Paulette (my son would agree), she was 'relaxed & friendly', always willing to be open & to share about childcare and all sorts of girl talk. She showed me what it was like to love home, husband and her children; she was caring and funny at the same time, too. Whenever she went out, she'd phone and take me with her to surprising new places. And, if she bought something new or planned a coming event, she'd enthusiastically share that with me, too. She was a good example for a newcomer, such as myself.
I could tell you more, but I'll save it in my heart for future reference.

Being neighborly is always so much fun, don't you agree? Like the verse: 'Two are stronger than one because they'll lift each other up...'.

Anyway, back to my company: I had two little girls visit me. Don't you love good surprises? While reading a new book, Fiona, our little redheaded two-year old neighbor, pops out on to the back porch and says, " Hi, Lady!". And then, along strolls Blackie, our neighborhood 'girl' cat, meowing and showing her belly.
Afternoon delights of giggles of 'How do you do that?'. Questions like: 'What you doing?'...'I got book, too' (note- not a typo, actual toddler speech).
'My grass is green'; 'Where your boys?';
'This my dolly and friend'. as she's cuddling the baby-doll and the friend is hanging upside down. 'See my pretty?' (showing sparkling bracelet).
I talked her through blowing on a dandelion, oh so cute, it blew back onto her nose and she wrinkled it.
And Blackie, just hanging out, 'cautiously' eating her treat.
The sun was shining, a cool breeze, a good book and warm friendly conversation with a soft cat at your feet, who could ask for more?

Thank you, God, for blessing us with good neighbors (near and far).
Now, back to that phone call...

From Our 'friendly' Front Porch to Yours...Andy & Ana.

Credit: Art.com

No comments: