Saturday, June 28, 2008

Care Bears


Sometimes when we visit the kids, our grandson Davey lends me a small stuffed animal to take home. Last week, he loaned me Christmas Bear: 'Here Nana, to keep you good company'.

The ritual began early on, I suspected he wanted to keep them upstairs (when they lived in the main house). But I've come to understand that his sincerity goes beyond that, and to an imaginary way of being supportive.
The 'Care Bears' vary: sometimes it's Rudyard's 'Tiger' to I suspect ward off jungle shadows in the night; Smokey the Bear to ward off California fires; and Curious George always has questions to be answered.

Davey is so funny when he makes his bed, all his 'friends' get thrown on the floor. Then they are all lined up by 'birth-order and purpose'.
Joey and I laughed so hard. The way he treats his friends, yikes. Sometimes they are lost under his bed, he begs forgiveness and returns them to their 'proper place'. Joey is very disciplined, you can bounce a quarter off his bed. His stuffed animals are lined up like soldiers at the foot of his bed. And, like Joey, they are all very well behaved.

Christmas Bear kept me 'good company' this past week. We shared reading time and long needed naps. C.B. stared as I created Davey's birthday card, and when Davey came to visit, he kept it secret. I miss cuddling C.B. while watching TV. Davey started a family ritual; I gave my dad a 'Care Bear', and when Wello passed away, I brought it home to comfort me.

Remember to Enjoy: Stuffed animals and 'Share' because you care...

From: Our 'comforted' Front Porch...Ana & Andy.

No comments: